Accountants are professionals responsible for financial bookkeeping, interpreting records, and managing expenditure. They do so by maintaining a day-to-day record of expenditure, monitoring trends in organizational spending, and creating budgets. They also ensure financial reporting accuracy with audits and monitoring by analyzing records. Accountants are very useful for any organization whether a non-governmental organization, a government institution, a startup, or an established business. Find in Ghana from major cities like .
To succeed as an accountant, it is recommended that you maintain an eye for the tiny details, maintain a good grasp on numbers and maintain a solid understanding of accounting standards, laws, and best practices of the field. An accounting degree from any of the universities and technical universities is the best to get started even though getting a professional certificate from the Institute of Chartered Accountants Ghana (ICAG) will open lots of local opportunities and a certificate from the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will open you to the international community of accounting making you a potential asset for many organizations within and outside of Ghana. Most on the TonatonJOBS portal require Higher National Diploma (HND), Diploma, or Degree certificates.
Accountants are some of the very indispensable pillars of organizations, especially within big organizations. They are very helpful in keeping the financial records on a day-to-day basis, preparing statements and reports, preparing invoices, making budgets, and performing audits and financial monitoring. They are logical people who operate in a field that is highly standardized and full of rules.
Accountant roles in Ghana have various responsibilities depending on the level of the accounting role. Some of the common responsibilities for in Ghana include;
1. Maintain financial records of the organization
2. Prepare reports and write financial statements
3. Prepare annual budgets
4. Give financial advice on actions by analyzing accounting probabilities
5. Create summaries of the current financial status of the organization by collecting information; preparing balance sheets, profit and loss statements, and other reports
6. Substantiate financial transactions by auditing documents
7. Maintain accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures
8. Maintain accurate and detailed financial records
9. Adhere to financial laws and regulations, accounting standards, and strict best practices.
10. Perform financial reconciliations on books and records
11. Produce error-free accounting reports and present their results
12. Analyze financial information and summarize financial status
13. Provide technical support and advice on management
14. Making sure staff salaries are paid, VAT, GETFUND, Staff Paye, Withholding Tax, SSNIT both 1st and 2nd Tier, and other financial obligations are executed.
The national average salary for Accountants in Ghana is GH¢29,760 per year or GH¢2480 (According to Payscale). Filter by locations such as to find the best Accountant job for you in Ghana.
A day in the life of an accountant involves preparing invoices, collecting expenditure information and receipts, keeping the books and records, and analyzing financial data. For a much more practical experience, speak to someone who is already working as an accountant near you. The day-to-day may vary as well depending on the sector of the economy, the level of the role, and the type of organization.
If you are obsessed with the details, can’t stop your habit of thinking in numbers, and are overly interested in working with rules and best practices, accounting might be the best job for you. The accounting field is one of the oldest and also one that is based on a lot of rules and standards. However, there are recent innovations in technology that are helping accountants perform their jobs not only easier but also faster and more efficiently. As an entry-level applicant, junior account positions may be the best place to start with and learn. As you grow in the field and gain lots of experience, you could specialize in internal audit, management accounting, become a finance manager or financial manager, become a financial analyst or even specialize in forensic accounting. There are lots of areas even within accounting that you can explore as you become more conversant with the aspects of accounting that excite you.
Hiring an accountant might be one of the key roles you would add to your organization. The field is one that is highly regulated, full of standards and best practices. Look for the qualifications and the ability to perform practical tasks like managing salaries and preparing statements. But do not dwell on the qualifications alone. Accounting is extremely important and dependent on the moral and ethical integrity of the employee. Look for professionalism, strong integrity, a lack of recklessness, and someone who is trustworthy in the perfect candidate.